KT and other promarker experts please

Go down

KT and other promarker experts please Empty KT and other promarker experts please

Post by thriftycrafter on Tue 22 Dec 2009 - 21:21

I know you should never try something new when you need a card in 10 mins but I did, of course and this is the resulting mess.
I bought the skin promarkers thinking I'd find them most useful, then decided to colour this teddy with thm. I knew you had to do the edges either paler or darker so I went round them with the chisle tip then did the middle with another colour, it looked dreadful so I coloured over the dark bit with the light pen, slightly less awful, then I splodged it with a water brush, no difference at all. Then I stuck it on the card and sent it off anyway as to be honest the mum won't care/notice. What should I have done? Resist the urge to say bin it.
How do you colour with these 'wonderful' pens?

KT and other promarker experts please KaciMediumWebview

Creativity is messy and I am very creative.
thriftycrafter
thriftycrafter
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 11919
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

KT and other promarker experts please Empty Re: KT and other promarker experts please

Post by kt_dragonfly on Tue 22 Dec 2009 - 21:39

I think you did really well Thrifty!!! He's kinda got that furry fuzzy bear feeling to him Mr Green

Also the waterbrush wouldn't work as their permanent markers, they do have aquatype pens, think their called tria's.

Really you just have to keep playing around with them, I tend to colour in the same way everytime which is good for plain stamps, no good for images that have lots of detail!

Dragon KT and other promarker experts please KT-Dragonfly Dragon

My Blog ~ http://ktdragonfly.blogspot.com
kt_dragonfly
kt_dragonfly
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 5655

http://ktdragonfly.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

KT and other promarker experts please Empty Re: KT and other promarker experts please

Post by thriftycrafter on Tue 22 Dec 2009 - 21:42

Which tip do you use, is there somewhere for guidance, do I remember a site with ideas on colouring?

thriftycrafter
thriftycrafter
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 22 Dec 2009 - 21:45

I agree with Kate - he's lovely and cute and fuzzy - you are being far too critical
of yourself.
Sometimes I think something isn't working but it usually does.

Back to top Go down

Post by thriftycrafter on Tue 22 Dec 2009 - 21:58

Aw thanks girls, I think it looks worse IRL but luckily the 1 yr old won't care. I've had a quick look at a few tutorials on utube, they were grim, KT there's a niche for you I'm sure.
Perhaps I need more colours LOL

thriftycrafter
thriftycrafter
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Scatty on Tue 22 Dec 2009 - 22:12

Looks great to me, you are being to hard on yourself.

KT and other promarker experts please Glowworm-1-1
Scatty
Scatty
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 6551

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Wed 23 Dec 2009 - 8:53

i think he looks ok too , the shading you have done gives him dimension and he has texture too . what more could you want , you are being a bit harsh on yourself i think . KT and other promarker experts please 569346
kimb
kimb
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 13216

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 23 Dec 2009 - 9:28

Karelyn - why don't you like it ? Haven't you used the PMs before.
I suppose the way we all gush about them makes some think they
are miracle pens, which of course, they aren't, but I love 'em.
Not sure what else you expected because I would have coloured him just
like you did.

Back to top Go down

Post by kt_dragonfly on Wed 23 Dec 2009 - 14:04

thriftycrafter wrote:Which tip do you use, is there somewhere for guidance, do I remember a site with ideas on colouring?

I use both ends depending on the space! The smaller tip for fiddly details, though you can use the larger chisel end if you get it at the right angle. My brother would tell you that he wouldn't even use the small end and that you can do everything with the chisel tip! lol

Ahhh you wont find me on utube anytime soon KT and other promarker experts please Lol

kt_dragonfly
kt_dragonfly
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine on Wed 23 Dec 2009 - 15:12

And I don't use my chisel tip at all, lol.

I think he looks lovely, Karelyn and if you hadn't said anything, we wouldn't have known. Mr Green

What you could try is this though: go round the edges with the darker pen and then colour over the whole area with the lighter pen, including over the dark bit. This will blend them in. You can put darker bits in other areas too before going over with the lighter pen.

Water won't work as they're solvent based.

I'm not a complete idiot...some pieces are missing!

Sew Lorraine (Etsy)
My Tutorials
My Photography
Lorraine
Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 16329
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Wed 23 Dec 2009 - 15:18

i dont use my chisel tip either unless its a huge piece that can be coloured in completely by it ,if its a funny shape to colour then i only use the finer end ,i dont think the chisel tip and the other end blend well together for some weird reason
kimb
kimb
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by thriftycrafter on Wed 23 Dec 2009 - 16:07

Thanks, I'll follow those tips, it is the first time I've even got them out of the box, I think I was expecting to be able to blend them more so there wasn't such an obvious line between the two colours, but those on the tutorials I looked at were pretty much the same, so perhaps I was expecting more of them.

thriftycrafter
thriftycrafter
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by WeirdCat on Fri 25 Dec 2009 - 20:39

My tip would be to color the lightest colours first, then shade the area you want in a slightly darker colour, as Lou says recolour with the lighter pen but don't cover the whole first layer of the lighter shade then use the blender with a small circular motion

Ruth

My Blog: http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/
WeirdCat
WeirdCat

Number of posts : 11144

http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by karinlouise on Wed 27 Jan 2010 - 10:18

I must admit I have been using my pro markers this week, proper first time use of them really.

Our class teacher says to use the blender over all the image first, then colour the areas you want, then shade the edges as though shadowed. It does work to a degree but I find the paper seems saturated and the colours can be seen thorugh the back.

It does acutally give a different look and colour when you put the blender on first, but mostly I colour, blend and then shade.

I must admit though, I love this teddy. He's gorgeous. Well done Karelyn I think your perseverance paid off.

My Blog Crafty K's Place

K is a Loser !! My Weight Loss Diary

Facebook Bead Page: Karin's Bead Kandy
karinlouise
karinlouise
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 4571

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 27 Jan 2010 - 10:33

I use good quality card but the PM still show through the back.
It's because they are alcohol based and the card slurps it up.
I always make sure I do it on pics that are going to be mounted
on another card.

Back to top Go down

Post by karinlouise on Wed 27 Jan 2010 - 10:40

Ah, thanks for that steph, I just figured it was the blender. Hehe, I do like using them though. The more I use them the more confident I feel with them too. I've realised this morning that I definately need at least one more colour !!!! Light brown.

My Blog Crafty K's Place

karinlouise
karinlouise
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 27 Jan 2010 - 10:42

karinlouise wrote:Ah, thanks for that steph, I just figured it was the blender. Hehe, I do like using them though. The more I use them the more confident I feel with them too. I've realised this morning that I definately need at least one more colour !!!! Light brown.

Yes I could do with a few more what I call 'inbetweeny shades.' I have got
loads (never counted them) but there is often a shade I want that isn't there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 27 Jan 2010 - 11:03

i just received the skin tones last week. i haven't used them yet but the reason i bought were for the flesh tone. i have some stamps and the paper dolls cart from cricut so i figured i'd get some use out of them. i do want the other colours as well.

is anyone doing a demo of these at the craft weekend? i hope so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine on Wed 27 Jan 2010 - 11:07

What I want to know is: When you print a digital image, doesn't the printer ink run when you use Promarkers on them?

I'm not a complete idiot...some pieces are missing!

Sew Lorraine (Etsy)
My Tutorials
My Photography
Lorraine
Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 16329
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by karinlouise on Wed 27 Jan 2010 - 11:34

I was thinking that earlier when I was saying about the stamped images. Hmmm might just have to have quick go with printout in front of me !!

My Blog Crafty K's Place

karinlouise
karinlouise
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by karinlouise on Wed 27 Jan 2010 - 11:47

Nope, at least not much I could tell.

The image is draft printed on copier paper so not top of the scale image, though printed higher quality it would come out better.

The picture isn't great sorry. But none of the black ink off the printer ran. The only thing that I did that looks as though something wrong is I coloured slightly over the edges for fuzzy effect, also the hearts on his feet look as though its got red on the fur, but that must be the camera because the actual picture looks fine. this was a very very quick colour though, so would look much better if I took time.

I do think that if you were to print on something like thick card, or glossy paper that perhaps it might run, though if you left it to dry for a long while it might be ok. Have to try that one next. Mr Green

KT and other promarker experts please DSCF0021

My Blog Crafty K's Place

karinlouise
karinlouise
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Di Masters on Wed 27 Jan 2010 - 11:55

I always leave them to dry for at least 24 hours and have found no problems (but try not to go over lines if I can help it, just in case), some people go over the image with heat gun to dry it out too.

Smile, and make everybody wonder what you've been up to.
Di Masters
Di Masters
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 14860

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Wed 27 Jan 2010 - 12:02

mine have never run yet lorraine . i still have not got na memento ink pad though and i am using the stazon and having no problems
kimb
kimb
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by kt_dragonfly on Wed 27 Jan 2010 - 12:43

Think I mentioned previously I bought a digital stamp at the weekend and tried it with my promarkers. First image smudged a little as I was a bit eager with it coming off the printer, the next one however after a couple of hours was perfectly fine.

Regarding card, I've found some super stuff from The Paper Mill, will bring some along with me to the weekend.

Karin - there's no such thing as "just one more colour" with promarkers lol

kt_dragonfly
kt_dragonfly
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by karinlouise on Wed 27 Jan 2010 - 12:59

kt_dragonfly wrote:

Hmmmm you may be right there !! KT and other promarker experts please Icon_smile

I've got the small momento, our shop sells them 1.60 I think. Awkward for bigger stamps but it works. Stazon didn't work for me at all, it smudged when I coloured in.

My Blog Crafty K's Place

karinlouise
karinlouise
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by karinlouise on Tue 9 Feb 2010 - 11:13

kt_dragonfly wrote:

Nope thats true, which is why I ended up buying another 10 last night, blue's greens and purple...which believe it or not I only had two shades of. Bought three packs of 5, off cowling last week. Hopefully that should do for now. Quite a few of the new ones last night were from the new colour range too.

My Blog Crafty K's Place

karinlouise
karinlouise
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by jcrulesfootball on Fri 30 Apr 2010 - 19:30

hi karelyn,
i cant see anything wrong with it either hun,
though im not an expert on pro markers havnt had proper play yet but havr used them once or twice.
kim i havnt used them with a stamped image as yet i too was looking for a memento but you say stazon is working ok.
karelyn kts right the water wont effect it because promarkers are alchohol based and not water based.
lolxx
jcrulesfootball
jcrulesfootball
Canny Crafter
Canny Crafter

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-08-31

http://rickscardmakingempire.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 30 Apr 2010 - 20:40

jcrulesfootball wrote:hi karelyn,
because promarkers are alchohol based and not water based.
lolxx

Except Aqua Promarkers - they are water based but they
are not so effective as the normal ones.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum