Scrapping hints and tips to help me get started....

Go down

Scrapping hints and tips to help me get started.... Empty Scrapping hints and tips to help me get started....

Post by Guest on Sun 18 Apr 2010 - 21:14

Well, after seeing all the fab inspiration at the weekend I *think* I would like to have a go at 'proper' scrapping. I love CJ's and am enjoying the challenges they present and I make mini albums, mainly 8x8 but I want to do 12x12.

So, any hints and tips for a newbie scrapper and ideas for how to start would be good. Even things scrappers would think are really basic would be a huge help, for example how do you choose the papers?

Back to top Go down

Scrapping hints and tips to help me get started.... Empty Re: Scrapping hints and tips to help me get started....

Post by Lorraine on Sun 18 Apr 2010 - 21:21

Jeez, Helen. Where to start, lol.

I suggest you choose a photo first. Then you can find papers to match some colours in the photo and whether you want masculine or feminine.
Try some sketches to give you ideas of placement and balance and do some 'lifts' if you see any particular LO's you like.

It won't take long before it ALL falls into place.

I hope you do some, it would be great to see them. Mr Green

I'm not a complete idiot...some pieces are missing!

Sew Lorraine (Etsy)
My Tutorials
My Photography
Lorraine
Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 16335
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Scrapping hints and tips to help me get started.... Empty Re: Scrapping hints and tips to help me get started....

Post by Maria on Sun 18 Apr 2010 - 21:54

lifting layouts you like from mags or sketches is the easiest way to get started. Looking forward to seeing them Helen.

shaken and stirred but still standing (most of the time)
Maria
Maria
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 9868
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.lesarbres.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by thriftycrafter on Sun 18 Apr 2010 - 21:56

LOL you could find a shop and ask for advice LOL
Firstly you need to buy all the paper you like the look of, put it in a cupboard or drawer and take out on occasion to stroke it.
Then buy some kits that you like and do the same.

Seriously though Get your favourite drink and snacks then;I decide on a pic first then chose the p[apers with colour from the photo and the genre in mind, some papers suit any occasion whereas others are more for specific markets, 1 CS and 3 pp is a good start, 2 pp is possibly better, I limit myself to about 6pp when I go to a crop as they look diferent in different light. lol
If you have a sketch or scraplift handy that's always a good starting block which can then be ignored as you start the scrapping process.
Embellies in odd numbers usually work best, but not a hard and fast rule.
I can't believe you asked that question!

Creativity is messy and I am very creative.
thriftycrafter
thriftycrafter
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 11949
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post by kt_dragonfly on Sun 18 Apr 2010 - 23:23

My gawd girl, what kinda question do u call that??? lol

Dragon Scrapping hints and tips to help me get started.... KT-Dragonfly Dragon

My Blog ~ http://ktdragonfly.blogspot.com
kt_dragonfly
kt_dragonfly
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 5655

http://ktdragonfly.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 10:12

Just choose some 12x12 paper, some pix and a few embellishments, lay them onto the paper, pick a word or two as a title and stick it all down. Add a bit of info about the pix in a space somewhere on the page. You might not be happy with it later down the line but we all started somewhere. If you've done cjs and smaller pages in the past then just think a little bigger and it will be great. And remember that what ever you do it will look good because it is your own using your own style and your own design; go for it and you'll be fine with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 10:49

thriftycrafter wrote:Firstly you need to buy all the paper you like the look of, put it in a cupboard or drawer and take out on occasion to stroke it.
Then buy some kits that you like and do the same.

lol! !
@ Karelyn - you put that so well LOL

I agree with starting off with photo, then papers - try to include a little
colour in the paper that is in the photo so they co-ordinate. I think you
will find the rest will follow Helen as you have a crafters mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Di Masters on Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 11:02

Have you still got loads of stuff from your shop Helen? If you have you should be able to find papers etc to match up with your colours or subject of pics. Just play about with everything before you stick anything down.

Smile, and make everybody wonder what you've been up to.
Di Masters
Di Masters
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 14987

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 11:26

go to some sketch sites or mags as suggested ,and find the one that looks the easiest to lift ( copy) .i think ppl tend to start off very linear before they move on to real fancy swirly lo's ,you have to find the courage to stick lots of stuff on the page ( read as use your lovely stash) . saying that though you may find it easy with doing lots of cj's and cards allready .
uks is a good site to visit ,look at the galleries for some inspiration .study what ideas they get from the photo and used in the lo
kimb
kimb
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 13216

Back to top Go down

Post by karinlouise on Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 12:10

kimb wrote:.i think ppl tend to start off very linear before they move on to real fancy swirly lo's ,you have to find the courage to stick lots of stuff on the page ( read as use your lovely stash) .

Scrapping hints and tips to help me get started.... Lol hmmmm, yes that could be me there.

I must admit, I start with the photo and then work from there. I've not done loads, but the few I have done I used the photo. Then papers tend to be easish for me to find, its the embellies I struggle with. Some of your lovely creations this weekend has inspired me to try and be braver. Paper tearing, swirls and covering up part of the picture, Scrapping hints and tips to help me get started.... Affraid

My Blog Crafty K's Place

K is a Loser !! My Weight Loss Diary

Facebook Bead Page: Karin's Bead Kandy
karinlouise
karinlouise
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 4571

Back to top Go down

Post by cb on Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 13:54

Some helpful tips for me there too as I'd really like to do more.

Seeing all the fantastic stash that some of you also have, can you give some ideas of where you buy from as the craft shops locally don't always have a lot of variety.
cb
cb
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 4418

Back to top Go down

Post by karinlouise on Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 14:08

http://www.pagemaps.com/pdfsketches.htm

I've just found this, thanks to Tina's inspiration and 'little' book of them. Thanks for that Tina.

I will def be saving these as it will help me 100% with ideas.

Cath, I have bought papers from all over. I have two gorgeous pads that I have got from Helen, might be worth seeing if she has more. The Range does have some nice ones now. But its the 12x12 card stock I wonder about. You could always do 8x8 which means you would just have to cut down an A4 sheet as this is already 8.25" wide.

My Blog Crafty K's Place

karinlouise
karinlouise
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrap Monkey on Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 14:57

A Trip Down Memory Lane is a very good place to start for papers and embellies.

Tina
My Beads on Etsy

our website

No, I'm not putting my 'to do' list here, that would be far to organised, PLUS I would have to keep it up to date  Laughing
Scrap Monkey
Scrap Monkey
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 8169
Registration date : 2009-02-19

http://www.saltwaterstudiopembroke.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 15:06

Scrap Monkey wrote:A Trip Down Memory Lane is a very good place to start for papers and embellies.

Why did you remind me ? I adore their stuff. Groaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Back to top Go down

Post by karinlouise on Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 15:11

Cath, that link I put up has in the bottom right corner, Side maps. These are A4 size. 8.5" x 11" Landscape ones.

Will have a look at that other place, when I have more money !!!!

My Blog Crafty K's Place

karinlouise
karinlouise
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 20:40

karinlouise wrote:
kimb wrote:.i think ppl tend to start off very linear before they move on to real fancy swirly lo's ,you have to find the courage to stick lots of stuff on the page ( read as use your lovely stash) .

Scrapping hints and tips to help me get started.... Lol hmmmm, yes that could be me there.

I must admit, I start with the photo and then work from there. I've not done loads, but the few I have done I used the photo. Then papers tend to be easish for me to find, its the embellies I struggle with. Some of your lovely creations this weekend has inspired me to try and be braver. Paper tearing, swirls and covering up part of the picture, Scrapping hints and tips to help me get started.... Affraid

no way ,,,not with all the paisley you did on suzys pic lo lol!
kimb
kimb
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 13216

Back to top Go down

Post by gingerjo on Tue 20 Apr 2010 - 0:08

My simple LO's A4 ones, were from Pagemaps,lol.

Or Helen you make 3 at the retreat and then not do another until the next one,lol. like me!
gingerjo
gingerjo
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 4480
Registration date : 2008-09-05

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/EntanglesDesign

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 20 Apr 2010 - 9:42

Don't try to over analyse

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 27 Apr 2010 - 18:35

Great post, I will be keeping my eyes on, after seeing Karin from the weeked and the ones she has done, has really got me thinking about starting, I think it would be a great anniversary present for my husband a little bit of each memory, holiday and family, although I think it may have to be for next year as June is awfully close, and I can imagine wanting to spend lots of time on each one LOL.

Just a question, sorry if it sounds a bit dumb, but once you have your pages, how to you bind them together?

Thanks
Emma

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 27 Apr 2010 - 18:43

MrsShorty wrote:
Just a question, sorry if it sounds a bit dumb, but once you have your pages, how to you bind them together?

It's not dumb Emma - if you don't scrap, why should you know ?
Most of us keep them in scrapbooking albums. the most popular sizes are 12 x 12 (inches)
and 8 x 8, but there are others. Most albums have clear pockets in which you put
your precious pages. You can add pages to the albums, but a word of warning -
don't overfill them - they can get very clumsy and heavy.

Back to top Go down

Post by thriftycrafter on Tue 27 Apr 2010 - 18:57

I'm starting to want to break away from that now though as it means unless you butcher you page protectors, you can't get hold of the tags and flaps that are sometimes on a LO, and you can't feel the velvet ribbon etc, so I'm thinking I might try an A4 ring binder style,Like a large CJ. not sure 12x12 would take the weight of pages very well. Any other tips on this girls?

Creativity is messy and I am very creative.
thriftycrafter
thriftycrafter
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 11949

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 27 Apr 2010 - 19:00

thriftycrafter wrote:I'm starting to want to break away from that now though as it means unless you butcher you page protectors, you can't get hold of the tags and flaps that are sometimes on a LO, and you can't feel the velvet ribbon etc, so I'm thinking I might try an A4 ring binder style,Like a large CJ. not sure 12x12 would take the weight of pages very well. Any other tips on this girls?

Hmm- know what you mean. I've often been put off doing flaps, hidden journalling etc
as you can't get to it under the pockets. Trouble is, are your pages going to
get pulled to bits if everyone is going to be touchy feely with them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine on Tue 27 Apr 2010 - 20:54

I don't worry about flaps and stuff in the pockets.

I tend to think that they're not pulled out often and when future generations get hold of them to look, I'd like to think they'd be careful.

I'm not a complete idiot...some pieces are missing!

Sew Lorraine (Etsy)
My Tutorials
My Photography
Lorraine
Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 16335
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrap Monkey on Tue 27 Apr 2010 - 22:20

Emma, you could always make hubby a mini-book for June; there are lots of ways of doing them (especially if you ask Karin nicely, she has a Bind It All Scrapping hints and tips to help me get started.... Icon_wink ), and Lorraine has a lovely tute on a mini-book on her 'Make something nice' Blog; we all made them for a swap.

Minibooks can also be an easier way to start, as there's less space to worry about filling. (And they make great anniversary presents; ask my hubby!).

Once you have done that, 12x12 will seem less daunting...

Tina
My Beads on Etsy

our website

No, I'm not putting my 'to do' list here, that would be far to organised, PLUS I would have to keep it up to date  Laughing
Scrap Monkey
Scrap Monkey
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 8169
Registration date : 2009-02-19

http://www.saltwaterstudiopembroke.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 28 Apr 2010 - 1:41

Good idea Tina. Good starting point and maybe progress to a 6 x 6
book and see how you feel about it all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria on Wed 28 Apr 2010 - 9:04

Thats how I started - mum gave me a concertina style mini book and some paper (it was 8x8 I think) and I made a mini book for Ken with pictures of him out here..... then of course I had to make one for mum without her knowledge for her with pics of her out here, and it has all snowballed from there.

shaken and stirred but still standing (most of the time)
Maria
Maria
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 9868
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.lesarbres.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 16 May 2010 - 21:43

Just realisd I havnt replied to this since some more advice, thanks ladies.

Sounds like a good idea to get started, where can I find Lorraine's blog?

I am just loving looking at all the LO people have done, they are fantastic, keep thinking of some great ideas not just for me but also for presents at Christmas, all my friends would love these and thinking of doing a scrapbook page as a gift for each special occasion (birthdays, Christmas, Christenings etc) for them, we are all quite new Mummies and I know they would love them as little memories to keep.

God I cant wait to get started

Back to top Go down

Post by karinlouise on Sun 16 May 2010 - 21:47

Emma, lorraines blog is via a link on her posts. At the bottom, near her signature is the different links to her sites.

My Blog Crafty K's Place

karinlouise
karinlouise
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 16 May 2010 - 21:59

Oh thanks Karin, kept getting onto her website

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum