SAXON

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

SAXON Empty SAXON

Post by Lorraine on Thu 19 Jun 2014 - 21:32

I have been wondering about Saxon's stools being an odd colour and really not formed since I got him and this evening he stinks and has diarrhoea. It just spurted out. Yuk I know, but I think I should take him to the vet's again tomorrow, just in case.

I'm not a complete idiot...some pieces are missing!

Sew Lorraine (Etsy)
My Tutorials
My Photography
Lorraine
Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 16329
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

SAXON Empty Re: SAXON

Post by Scrap Monkey on Thu 19 Jun 2014 - 21:37

Have you changed his food?

Tina
My Beads on Etsy

our website

No, I'm not putting my 'to do' list here, that would be far to organised, PLUS I would have to keep it up to date Laughing
Scrap Monkey
Scrap Monkey
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 8151
Registration date : 2009-02-19

http://www.saltwaterstudiopembroke.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by kt_dragonfly on Thu 19 Jun 2014 - 22:04

It's probably a change in food and possibly he needs worming.

Get some of this:
http://www.petmeds.co.uk/Cats/Cat-Health-Products/Wormers/Panacur-Paste-Dog-Puppy-Cat-Kitten/p/I0000127

I used it on our pups from the age of 2 weeks.

Dragon SAXON KT-Dragonfly Dragon

My Blog ~ http://ktdragonfly.blogspot.com
kt_dragonfly
kt_dragonfly
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 5655
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://ktdragonfly.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine on Thu 19 Jun 2014 - 23:01

Nope. Same food as breeder had him on. In fact, he's not eating as much as he should be.

He's been wormed Kate, a couple of times. Last time about 20 mins before I brought him home. Vet said she'll do another next week when he goes for his first jabs. If they do have worms, can you see them moving or not? I've looked and there does seem to be white 'bits' in it but no movement. It definitely isn't like the food that went in though.

I'm thinking it might be my fault. He's had a whole (200grm) bag of Coachies since Tuesday and yesterday, I bought him one of those bones with the meat down the middle and he's had all that out too. Perhaps I should have had more sense with a young puppy. It's not as if I don't realize they have tender tums.

He's peed loads today too, mostly in the house. I've just cleaned 3 up in as many minutes. No sooner had I cleaned, he was behind me doing another!!!

Sew Lorraine (Etsy)
My Tutorials
My Photography
Lorraine
Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine on Fri 20 Jun 2014 - 0:02

How do you write a big sigh? lol. If peeing was an olympic sport, he'd win the gold. I've lost count of how many today. He's just done a multiple again.

Maybe if he's got a dicky tummy, he's dehydrating which is why he's been drinking quite a lot today. Anyway, I've decided I'm not going to feed him tomorrow until I've been to the vets but will make plenty of water available. Will be getting cheaper kitchen towel though, that's for sure; gone through nearly a whole roll of Plenty and half a bottle of hand wash today, lol.

Sew Lorraine (Etsy)
My Tutorials
My Photography
Lorraine
Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Fri 20 Jun 2014 - 1:30

I dont rate that plenty anyway . waste of money imo.
hope he gets sorted out , maybe you have gone overboard with treats lorraine .it sounds like it to me . wonder if it could be a change of water . it affects me terribly one way or the other .
he is only 6 weeks old so tummy not able to take stronger things yet.
I bet it was that bone treat thing.
kimb
kimb
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 13216

Back to top Go down

Post by kt_dragonfly on Fri 20 Jun 2014 - 7:36

Sounds like too many treats lol

Cook up some (cheap) chicken and use that as an alternative. Also I wouldn't give him one of those bones with the stuff in the middle just yet, they are probably quite rich. You could always if he's cleared the bone out re stuff it with your own mix I.e mashed up chicken and rice

Maybe go buy some cheap sponges for the purpose of cleaning up doggy accidents lol we have a couple for when our dogs have the occasional accident

Right, need to go walk my three Mr Green

kt_dragonfly
kt_dragonfly
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Di Masters on Fri 20 Jun 2014 - 7:47

Sounds like too much rich food for his age, when my friends dog had iffy tum the vet told her to feed it rice with a little bit of chopped chicken.
He is still a baby and most of his age would still be with mum, I expect that's a bit stressful for him too.

Smile, and make everybody wonder what you've been up to.
Di Masters
Di Masters
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 14852

Back to top Go down

Post by supergran on Fri 20 Jun 2014 - 11:13

Rick always fed his work dogs rice with or with out chicken when they had gippy tums, hope it gets sorted soon.

SAXON BSAXON ISAXON LSAXON LSAXON ISAXON E

Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 6736
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine on Fri 20 Jun 2014 - 16:41

Well, he was fine in the night and seemed fine this morning too. He went out for a poo and it was practically normal, so I think it was probably down to my stupidity. He's been right as rain today, and I fed him and he ate well, so hopefully a glitch.

Been doing a lot of reading on dog food and discovered that his food is absolute rubbish. Was going to change him to James Wellbeloved but our Steve mentioned Wainwrights, which I'd not heard of, and the composition is even better than J.W, and it's hypoallergenic too, so will be changing him over slowly to that.

Hopefully, it'll fill him out as there's a minimum of 33% turkey in it. Better than nearly every food I looked at.

Sew Lorraine (Etsy)
My Tutorials
My Photography
Lorraine
Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Fri 20 Jun 2014 - 17:27

what was he on before then lorraine .
glad hes happier today.
kimb
kimb
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by thriftycrafter on Fri 20 Jun 2014 - 17:39

That was a bit of a worry for you, hope he stays ok.
They always used to give the RAF dogs chicken a boiled rice for gippy tums.

Creativity is messy and I am very creative.
thriftycrafter
thriftycrafter
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 11917

Back to top Go down

Post by cb on Fri 20 Jun 2014 - 21:25

Sounds like Meg was only she was worse Lorraine. She had a chew thing with marrow in it and then we changed her food to James Well Beloved and been fine since. Know what you mean about all the wees, even neighbour has been giving us newspaper now!
cb
cb
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 4418

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine on Sun 22 Jun 2014 - 10:58

He was on Chudley's Kim. Main ingredient maize and loads of E numbers and additives. I can't believe anybody feeds their dogs on it.

Anyway, he's as right as ninepence now. He's learning very fast. He's learnt that it's much more fun to pee and poo in the house instead of outside. He's learnt how to bark and dive at you. He's learnt how to tip his water bowl over, wait until mummy cleans up, fills it again and then knock it over again.
I also think that 'Leave' and 'Off' are his two favourite words, 'cause he'll do anything he can to hear them. Toothy Grin

I've had to put him on a long lead while he's in the garden too. He's tasting his way around (normal I know) but half the plants in my garden are poisonous to him. affraid

Sew Lorraine (Etsy)
My Tutorials
My Photography
Lorraine
Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Sun 22 Jun 2014 - 14:00

oooeerrrr!!!! you are having fun pmsl
its all normal though .
kimb
kimb
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Sun 22 Jun 2014 - 14:03

forgot to say ...we feed billy on harringtons dry food .loves the lamb one best but eats the others too.
we used to feed him iams but it got so expensive
. this is half that price or less
kimb
kimb
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine on Sun 22 Jun 2014 - 16:43

SAXON June-210

and from that picture of innocence - my Sony S Tablet charging cable. I'm only grateful it wasn't plugged in.
SAXON Sony-c10

Sew Lorraine (Etsy)
My Tutorials
My Photography
Lorraine
Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thriftycrafter on Sun 22 Jun 2014 - 17:05

Is he a dog or a rabbit? Never had a puppy but I didn't realise they chewed cables, ouch.
He is so cute.

Creativity is messy and I am very creative.
thriftycrafter
thriftycrafter
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Sun 22 Jun 2014 - 17:15

we had afriend who had aboxer pup and he chewed through the cable of a plugged in tumble dryer. it soon stopped him.
another friend had a gsd pup and it chewed all the plaster off the walls and ate an alarm clock ...one of those with the big bells on top and all her costume jewellery.
so yes karelyn they chew anything if they are a chewer that is , not all do it though.
kimb
kimb
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine on Sun 22 Jun 2014 - 21:09

He'll chew anything he can get his teeth on at the moment. I've just chased him across the floor with one of my Sew magazines in his mouth!!!

Sew Lorraine (Etsy)
My Tutorials
My Photography
Lorraine
Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kt_dragonfly on Sun 22 Jun 2014 - 22:03

You don't want the list of what sprockets chewed... >.<

kt_dragonfly
kt_dragonfly
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by WeirdCat on Mon 23 Jun 2014 - 10:54

The late lab down the road got through 2,000 worth of stuff in his first two years, Floyd, his replacement, has reached 800!

Ruth

My Blog: http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/
WeirdCat
WeirdCat

Number of posts : 11139

http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by thriftycrafter on Mon 23 Jun 2014 - 20:24

Woah, we were very lucky then, ours ate poop only once, before the tabasco sauce treatment, and a camera film which made him V sick, not surprisingly!
thriftycrafter
thriftycrafter
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

SAXON Empty Lorraine - Saxon Help

Post by kt_dragonfly on Fri 27 Jun 2014 - 19:33

Lorraine - do not give up. You don't think I haven't felt the same with Sprocket - after Belle and Penny, Sprocket has been such hard work!

Sprocket was an awful play biter, still has a tendency but he's gotten so much better - Gary has a tendency to wind him up every now and then.

With Sprocket we also tried everything, yelping, pulling away, the trainer we used said to remove your hand/self from the situation so he would realise that biting wasn't fun and that something else like a toy or a treat is so much better.
So next time he starts to bite, just remove your hand. Hide it in your pocket and ignore Saxon, he'll soon learn that its not a fun game.

He's only 9 weeks old, he would be a miracle pup to be toilet trained this early! You just need to recognise the signs and once again if he does have an accident in the house.
Don't make a big fuss, song and dance, just quietly remove him from the situation, clean it up so he can't see you cleaning it up and then when he does go outside be really really happy! He'll realise its so much better to go outside when he can have a treat after. You just need to watch the signs of when he wants to go out - sometimes always having the back door open isn't a good thing especially when they are toilet training as the pup can't learn that he needs to ask to go out.

Gary had an awful habit of chucking sprocket outside when he'd gone in the house. Sprocket learnt then to go outside he needed to pee on the floor. Took me paying a trainer 10 for Gary to realise what he was doing wrong. So for a week or so you maybe up and down to the back door every five min, but eventually he will learn.

Puppys are cute, cuddly, sweet but bloody hell they are hard work and can drive you to distraction! See if you can find a puppy group to meet up with and take Saxon to so he can make some friends and burn off energy.

As I type I can hear Sprocket destroying something downstairs...

kt_dragonfly
kt_dragonfly
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine on Fri 27 Jun 2014 - 22:09

I'm not going to give up, apart from the fact that I love the little fellah already, I've invested far too much money in him. I just feel like giving up. He's only 8 weeks Kate. Now is the time he should be leaving his mum and siblings and I think Di got it right, he came away too early and Mr Catlin made a big mistake in taking the pups from their mother and letting Saxon come away so early.

It might be because I'm so tired. I've always been a tad grumpy when I'm tired but I haven't had a good sleep for about 2 weeks and he has me up at 7.30 ish each morning, so the days are very long and I'm knackered by tea time.

I do move my hand/foot if I can, but he just comes right back and really hurts. I try to get my clothes out of his mouth but he just thinks it's a game and keeps pulling. If I stand there and ignore him, he just keeps doing it. I take him regularly for toilet and he often does it, I click and reward, then he runs back inside and sometimes does another!!! Other times, I'm taking him out and before I get the door open, he pees. OK, maybe I'm not quick enough, but I honestly think he doesn't care. Inside or outside, it's all the same to him.

I don't want to get into a 'behaviour train' with him, so I'm desperately trying not to do similar things that Gary did.

I don't mind the toilet business so much, but the biting is really pushing me to the edge.

Sew Lorraine (Etsy)
My Tutorials
My Photography
Lorraine
Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cb on Sat 28 Jun 2014 - 21:52

It's very tiring Lorraine and Malcolm and I have had times when we thought what have we done and we can't cope anymore but we're persevering as I'm sure you are but it's damned hard work! Meg is still at the stage Saxon is with the weeing etc but getting better. She can hold all night and if we're not quick to get down the stairs have a puddle before we get to the backdoor. She even holds it when taken for a walk but manages to get out the back before it's too late.

Puppy classes are helping and we're giving her more treats/rewards and that seems to be helping.
cb
cb
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 4418

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine on Sat 28 Jun 2014 - 23:03

I can't wait until I can get him out to classes, but because I got him early, he only had his first jab on Thursday so I've got another 3 weeks before I can take him out properly.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, I don't know. He's only 8 weeks old and I haven't had him quite 2 weeks yet, so I'm probably hoping for a miracle. I've got him to sit, go down and wait for his food, but the biting and peeing...I'm getting nowhere.

I searched the internet again and found what seems to be a really good trainer on YouTube, so I'm trying a different method, so we'll see.

I signed up for the German Shepherd UK forum too, thinking there's a plethora of experience on there, but I've been waiting 3 days for 'her' to activate my account.

Bailey was two when I got him. My last puppy was 17 years ago and I don't remember it being this hard.

Sew Lorraine (Etsy)
My Tutorials
My Photography
Lorraine
Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WeirdCat on Sun 29 Jun 2014 - 10:14

It was that hard but you had youth on your side and didn't have an elderly battleaxe to deal with. He'd still be play biting his Mum and siblings at this stage under normal circumstances. If he bites your hand, remove it from his mouth, stand up and ignore him then he can't reach to have another go, if he goes for your feet, just leave the room if it's practical to do so. Maybe concentrate on just that at the moment and forget about trying to toilet train at the same time.

Ruth

My Blog: http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/
WeirdCat
WeirdCat

Number of posts : 11139

http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine on Sun 29 Jun 2014 - 11:28

Cheers Ruth. I've started doing that now and I actually think it might be working. When he gets over excited, I also put him out of the room for time out until he calms down.

The trainer on YouTube showed - with a handful of treats, close your fist and let the dog sniff and nip. Tell him 'Off' and when he stops, give him a treat. I've done this 3 or 4 times since yesterday and I think it might be helping too.

Sew Lorraine (Etsy)
My Tutorials
My Photography
Lorraine
Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine on Fri 4 Jul 2014 - 10:09

Well, the little git had the devil in him yesterday and it looks like today is shaping up to be the same.

I did have 3 fairly calm days with him and thought he was on the turn, but nooooooooooo!!! He was terrible with his biting and chewing. Got no end of loose threads on my sofa already. I tell him no and he barks and launches himself at me. He's doing quite well with his training though.

Got a hole in my trousers and my top yesterday.

Up twice in the middle of the night again, but on the plus side when he wakes me up, he does actually do something when I take him out. I've not had a single nights sleep since I got him, and being as tired as I am, doesn't help with my patience. He's also not a great lover of cuddles which is a massive shame for me.

Anyway, deep breath and try to stay calm....lol.

Sew Lorraine (Etsy)
My Tutorials
My Photography
Lorraine
Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content