Using bits from used cards

Go down

Using bits from used cards Empty Using bits from used cards

Post by lyndaejane on Fri 5 Dec 2008 - 18:15

I know there's mixed views on this (I don't regularly use actual motifs from used cards, except on my charity ones) but I thought it would be worth re-iterating the tips I put on the forum once before - no doubt lost in one of the various reincarnations!

Cards with inserts - if the unwritten-on side of the insert is plain, cut it out as it may be big enough to form an insert for a smaller card. If there's not too much printing on the back of the card, use the back as a new card blank and cover the printing with your papers/embellishments - alternatively, cut out the usable parts (often nice hammered card) to use as mounts or for stamping. Or use the whole of the card as a card blank and cover up the original front (put your made-by sticker over the printing on the back).

Even if you don't want to cut out items to use as motifs on your own cards, there are plenty of bits of the card you might be able to use. Remove any jewels, beads, ribbons, bows or similar to use again. Use areas of foil, glitter (unless you're Lorraine) or nice coloured/patterned backgrounds for punching/die-cutting or for mounts. If it's a nice hammered or otherwise textured card, you might be able to use the reverse of the front for mounting or stamping. If the picture or motif is surrounded by a "frame" of foil or something else that appeals to you, cut off the whole front and mount it on a new card blank before you add your own picture or motif. If the card has an aperture (eg a small square cutout), save it so that you can turn it over/cover it to use as a mount for your own motif - you can trim it down to slide-mount size, too. Look out for greetings that appeal to you and cut them out: you often find ones in fonts that you can't buy yourself. Check for shapes that appeal: if there is a particularly nice Christmas tree, for example, cut it out and use it as a template.

Please remember that pieces of used cards should not be included in cards you are going to sell, as they are copyright to the manufacturer.

Finally, don't forget to keep any cards that will act as an inspiration for your own creations: keep them in a binder so you can refer to them.

Happy recycling!

Lynda

Some days I amaze myself. Other days I put the laundry in the oven.
lyndaejane
lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 12290
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Using bits from used cards Empty Re: Using bits from used cards

Post by Guest on Fri 5 Dec 2008 - 18:45

I think I put somewhere else, but most of my old cards I cut up for
the grandkids to make cards with.
I hate throwing cards into the recycling bin - seems a waste. Some of the
fronts I cut off and use as a postcard for my competitions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 6 Dec 2008 - 19:59

hey steph, speaking of postcards..i bought 2 packs for £1 from the Closing down sale at Woolworths today..i was hoping to get some more..but for some reason they didn't have any left...

i also got dome of those clip frames ...5 for 10p..i am sure i can use them....in fact i promised my brother some pics i scanned in of my grandparents (deceased) they would look ok.

Lynda, brill tips as usual

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum