The Canny Crafters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not for Maria

4 posters

Go down

Not for Maria Empty Not for Maria

Post by WeirdCat Tue 11 May 2010 - 20:55

Might be a bit gory for Maria but can highly recommend The Midwife's Trilogy by Jennifer Worth, it's three books in one large volume and is an absolutely fascinating look at midwifery and general nursing in the slums of the East End in the 50's, it also contains a fair bit of the history of the area, the times and how it was for large families living in just a couple of rooms. It also examines the author's faith and the way it changed whilst she was working as a midwife and district nurse

Ruth

My Blog: http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/
WeirdCat
WeirdCat

Number of posts : 12260
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Not for Maria Empty Re: Not for Maria

Post by Guest Tue 11 May 2010 - 21:12

We had the first one at work "call the midwife" when it first came out; a really fascinating narrative and worth reading for the historic content. the books have appeared on a supplementary reading list for student midwives recently and we were asked to get a copy in but as it's so cheap for 3 books in one we're waiting for a donation later when someone has finished with their copy.

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb Tue 11 May 2010 - 21:16

sounds like my cup of tea ruth .is the book up for grabs ruth ?????? Wink
kimb
kimb
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 13163

Back to top Go down

Post by WeirdCat Tue 11 May 2010 - 21:43

kimb wrote:sounds like my cup of tea ruth .is the book up for grabs ruth ?????? Wink

No sorry, it's going to mum next

Ruth

My Blog: http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/
WeirdCat
WeirdCat

Number of posts : 12260

http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 May 2010 - 22:14

OMG yes - Mia would be out for the count at the first paragraph about anyone nursing anything (other than a dog, that is!!!!)

Back to top Go down

Post by cb Tue 11 May 2010 - 22:22

Not read this one but just about to read Nurse on Call by Edith Cotterill which sounds similar Ruth as it's the true story of a 1950's District Nurse.
cb
cb
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 4405

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 May 2010 - 23:20

Here's a good one then. Our HR director was 32 weeks pregnant until Wednesday last week. She was in a meeting with various medical consultants in the trust board room when she "had a massive bleed"...her words!! They rushed her to the delivery suite and it turned out her waters had broken early. Anyway, the baby, a girl, was 3lb 10oz and is in special care, they are both fine and Mum went home yesterday. Now, thats a new take on 'help, is there a doctor in the house anyone'? but, the cleaning department didn't sent anyone to clean the carpet until late on friday afternoon!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by thriftycrafter Wed 12 May 2010 - 7:58

Poor Mum, I always feel it must be the worst thing to do going and leaving your new baby in hospital, I don't think I could. Hope they both get fit and strong soon. I also hope no one told her about the carpet, I'd feel dreadful about that.

Creativity is messy and I am very creative.
thriftycrafter
thriftycrafter
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 12968

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 May 2010 - 12:53

Aw, such a shame about the baby, but as long as she stys healthy all is well.

Midwives...yes ...my great grandmother lived in suffol and was a 'midwife' not sure if qualified professionally but did deliver loads of babys...also there are the stories about her...all told to me as truths....

1) she was called to the home of a very rich and well known family...won't mention it for fear of being sued...but mysteriously my 'Grandmother' had a new baby sister the nest day????? her mother the midwife was not pregnant and .....every so often a posh car would be pulling up outside their house...and money would cross hands from visitor to my geat grandmother....the 'child' was the only one of my grandmother's siblings to have private piano lessons and other such expensive treat????

2) When my grandmother's youngest brother was being born...(my uncle) my great grandmother was doing the midwifery bit...helping grandma to give birth..as soon as he was delivered...great grandmother went downstairs, sat in the chair...and died?????? my poor grandmother was upset when all of the curtains were closed as she assumed that the baby had died..she was devasted when she was told how her mother had just sat and died...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down