The Canny Crafters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spellbinders Grand Calibur v Sizzix Big Shot v keeping my Cuttlebug?

5 posters

Go down

Spellbinders Grand Calibur v Sizzix Big Shot v keeping my Cuttlebug? Empty Spellbinders Grand Calibur v Sizzix Big Shot v keeping my Cuttlebug?

Post by lyndaejane Sat 28 Dec 2013 - 13:52

The only problem with the Cuttlebug, which I already have, is that you can't use the longer dies (without messing about or buying special plates) or the larger embossing folders. But do I need to?

With the experience any of you have with the Grand Calibur or Big Shot, would you recommend I get either of these two to replace my Cuttlebug?

Lynda

I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, just like they should be.
lyndaejane
lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 17260
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Spellbinders Grand Calibur v Sizzix Big Shot v keeping my Cuttlebug? Empty Re: Spellbinders Grand Calibur v Sizzix Big Shot v keeping my Cuttlebug?

Post by thriftycrafter Sat 28 Dec 2013 - 18:48

I got the X Cut xpress to replace mine, it takes any length or depth of die without extra plates. It folds up like the bug but is heavier, although the GC and BS are heavy too.

Creativity is messy and I am very creative.
thriftycrafter
thriftycrafter
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 12989

Back to top Go down

Spellbinders Grand Calibur v Sizzix Big Shot v keeping my Cuttlebug? Empty Re: Spellbinders Grand Calibur v Sizzix Big Shot v keeping my Cuttlebug?

Post by Scatty Sun 29 Dec 2013 - 18:28

Sounds like the X Cut Xpress is worth looking at Lynda, I have the 'big shot' and had to get the longer plates as a add on as it comes with the short ones, and I have bent the short ones when using the magnetic sheet with it, treated myself to the new magnetic platform with my store bonus in the November pay packet. Very Happy  The Grand Calibur only takes the slim dies.

Spellbinders Grand Calibur v Sizzix Big Shot v keeping my Cuttlebug? Glowworm-1-1
Scatty
Scatty
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 6909

Back to top Go down

Post by WeirdCat Fri 3 Jan 2014 - 17:28

I have the bug and the Calibur, if I'm honest I'd choose the x cut or the larger big shot as opposed to the Calibur. The calibur doesn't have the flexibilty of being able to accept the thicker dies so you are limited, I like mine but if and when it breaks then I'd go for either of those two

Ruth

My Blog: http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/
WeirdCat
WeirdCat

Number of posts : 12268

http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane Wed 12 Mar 2014 - 16:38

Right. It's make or break time. I have a Cuttlebug Cut and Emboss folder, 5" x 7": won't go through the Cuttlebug and the video of the Provocraft people using one shows them with the extra-long plates for one of that size. A set of those - for what might only be one die - will probably be around £40, so now is the time for another machine.

Good things have been said on here by Lorraine about the Ebosser: Cutting Edge Crafts have it for £153, and Steve still hasn't thought of anything for my birthday, so could have money towards it.....

Should I?

Lynda

I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, just like they should be.
lyndaejane
lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Scatty Wed 12 Mar 2014 - 19:50

Yes Yes Yes, I have only used the one I bought at the show to play with but its great and so easy too.

Spellbinders Grand Calibur v Sizzix Big Shot v keeping my Cuttlebug? Glowworm-1-1
Scatty
Scatty
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 6909

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Thu 13 Mar 2014 - 0:21

No brainer Lynda.  If you've got the chance of an Ebosser.  Go for it, that's a brilliant price.  It'll cut any die and it's bloody good too.

I'm not a complete idiot...some pieces are missing!

Sew Lorraine (Etsy)
My Tutorials
My Photography
Lorraine
Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 16280
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane Thu 13 Mar 2014 - 8:58

Thanks, girls - think I might. Will keep you posted!

Lynda

lyndaejane
lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by WeirdCat Thu 13 Mar 2014 - 9:28

Have heard great things about the ebosser too.

Ruth

My Blog: http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/
WeirdCat
WeirdCat

Number of posts : 12268

http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down