The Canny Crafters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JEMMA

+2
Di Masters
Maria
6 posters

Go down

JEMMA Empty JEMMA

Post by Maria Fri 11 Jul 2014 - 15:10

Well this cant possibly last. Shes got to be the easiest puppy in the world (sorry). Im sure it will change.

as soon as I work out how to upload photos to here of a reasonable size from my camera I will put some photos but thought Id start the thread anyway.

She weighs 3kilos, is now wormed and de-flead although the vet says may not eb 100% effective and he cant give a stronger one at the moment so we will re-do in a month when she goes for second injection. She is 8 or 9 weeks old now, and the vet says she will have natural immunity (none of the other animals at the farm are vaccinated) and not to worry too much. He said to sterilise her (if I want to, which i do) at 6 months as earlier is better than later and can prevent some cancers. She also had a microchip fitted and started a passport (I need both things for the club)

She goes voluntarily into her crate, which is rather big and cumbersome - wish Id got a smaller size just for portability really, shes got water up one end and towels and toys up the other (the instructions say block one end off but I havent). She hasnt messed in it at all. I leave it open in the day and close her in it at night. its in the middle of the lounge near the doors out, which isnt idea (the middle of the lounge part) but once she is completely houstrained etc I will move it to the utility, but that involves anotehr door and I remember how this complicated things with Bracken, so its the lounge for now.

She was nervous to come indoors at first and then nervous of the fly screen flap thingy, but ok with both now. Shes been up the bottom two stairs is all, I carry her up in my arms in the mornings, my stairs turn and are also open tread (no risers) so dont want her falling through the holes or off the sides. She hasnt tried to come up on her own and when the cat gets fed up it runs up the stairs and Jemma doesnt follow.

She eats her croquettes ok, Ive put her on some decent junior food (pro plan) becasue everyone says the important time is when they are young, for the first year if you can afford it. I'll probably put her on something cheaper later, she was on utter rubbish up the road. She was very 'loose' the first day but is fine now.

Shes very cuddly. Last night I took her to Frans and she was wandering off a bit, so I put her on my lap and she slept virtually all evening, there getting down at odd intervals then coming back to go on again. In the mornings I put her up on the bed, once shes been out, with the cat there too and shes fine, just dozes there (the cat bounces all over the place) and they both stayed like it whilst I went for a shower this morning.

She doesnt cry at night (really!). I cant believe it. The first night there were a few whimpers, like for less than 5 mins then nothing till 3am when there was alot of crying and I came down and let her out, she went to the loo and I put her back in the crate, no more crying. Last night there were no whimpers at all, just the 3am thing. ive NEVER had this with either of my dogs - brambles cried for three nights, progressively less and Bracken howled the place down for a week and chewed through the wooden gate etc. Do we think she is likely to suddenly start doing it now or have I got away with it? (they are usually crying for their siblings and mother etc arent they?)

When I put her down in the enclosure in the garden (its a bit far from the house) she was sort of squeaking for about 5 minutes in protest but quiet after that and when i went to get her after an hour she was asleep curled up next to the kennel. She isnt frightened to go in the kennel, ive fed her in there etc but she doenst really want to go in it it seems. Maybe if it rained she would. This enclosure is where she will be left if I go out for the day, say skiing, so she will need some shelter and I couldnt leave her indoors that long. (12 hours)

She doesnt love the car. I put her in the wooden dog crate (purpose built for the car by you know who) to go to the vets and she was fine but its a straight road. Then on the way back there was the cat in the cat carrier in there as well and she was fine but looked scared. Yesterday was ok going over to Utes but its a very short ride, then I have left the wooden crate at Utes because Roland is going to put a grille front on it for me (its currently open) so I will be able to leave her in the boot with the lid up and she will be secure and also I could take the crate out if Im somewhere. To Frans in the evening was half an hour down a very windy road and she was in the boot space in the dark without the crate and on arrival she looed like shed been sick and was dribbling but there was no sign of the sick. When it came to going home she didnt want to get in and when I plonked her in her ears went down. Shes going to have to get used to bendy roads, thats all there are here! I hope this improves though, as she will need to go in the car almost every day. I guess she will get used to it.

She met the horses yesterday and was frightened of those - ran back to the house, but then later sat quiet enough nearby whilst we prepared them. There are another three dogs all there and that helped, then she was ok being shut in the lean to with the other dog whilst we rode. At Frans in the evening she ran over to the horses but then took fright again, they are alot bigger than her. I held her up near Nougat so she could get used to the smell etc.

and Remys dog Eros (a staffie) came round and she was afraid but stood her ground a bit, it backed her up against the door but she just barked, well sqwauked at it, and didnt actually submit and the dog lost interest. Dont think she liked him much but he comes every week so she will get used to him.

She'd like to be better friends with Jake, who is still a bit wary. She looks like shes trying to round him up sometimes, already. Jake tends to wait till shes asleep then lies down nearby, sometimes on top of the crate.

So, there we are. At the moment I am over the moon with her, love her to bits and she is a million times easier than Bracken was at this stage. Im very pleased and sure that shes only being this calm because she isnt sure of herself, plus Ive heard about their tendency to bite, jump up, chew etc and Im sure thats all to come.

will put some pics up when i can fathom the camera thing

shaken and stirred but still standing (most of the time)
Maria
Maria
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 10552
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.lesarbres.co.uk

Back to top Go down

JEMMA Empty Re: JEMMA

Post by Di Masters Fri 11 Jul 2014 - 15:31

So far so good, you might be lucky and have found one of those puppies that just seem to pick everything up quickly. Being from farm dog stock might be the reason, none of the inbred problems a lot of pedigree dogs seem to have.
Not surprised she was scared of the horses, they must seem gigantic to her lol. Good that she stood her ground to the other dog.
Few short car trips, gradually getting longer and she will settle.

Smile, and make everybody wonder what you've been up to.
Di Masters
Di Masters
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 18729
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Fri 11 Jul 2014 - 18:52

yes Di, I didnt balme her either, and they were all galloping about to as one didnt want to be caught.

and Ive only ever had pedigrees before, but I cant honeslty believe its all that much different apart from them bieng maybe hardier.

still, so far so good. Got to leave her on her own this evening, so that may change things

Maria
Maria
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Fri 11 Jul 2014 - 19:31

That all sounds wonderful Maria. She's a bit of a dream and I sincerely and really, really hope it stays that way for you. When they're like that, they're a joy to have aren't they.

The only thing Jemma and Saxon have in common...he didn't cry at night either, lol.

I'm not a complete idiot...some pieces are missing!

Sew Lorraine (Etsy)
My Tutorials
My Photography
Lorraine
Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 16280
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by cb Fri 11 Jul 2014 - 20:10

Sounds like you've got a good girl there Maria and hope she continues this way so enjoy.
cb
cb
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 4405

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Sat 12 Jul 2014 - 5:47

The lovely creature went right throug to 6am this morning, stil no mess indoors. Ive got her up on the bed with me now for a cuddle.

Maria
Maria
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Sat 12 Jul 2014 - 9:05

They laughed at me at boules when I said I had to get back (it was 11.30!!) because I had left my little puppy dog outside, they all hooted and said why, do you think its going to be cold, do you think Mr Lussan put it indoors, have you thought of a coat for it etc etc (dogs go to the school of hard knocks round here) and when I said no i am afraid it will be scared all alone in the dark like that they hooted even more.

Oh well, my dog, my rules. Their dogs are left outside and not really treated as pets at all except for the blasted poodles which everyone has and treats like babies.

Maria
Maria
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Di Masters Sat 12 Jul 2014 - 9:34

I must admit I always think it funny when you see people with animals that they put 'coats' on. What do they think mother nature gave them fur/hair for?
We are far too soft with animals lol.

Smile, and make everybody wonder what you've been up to.
Di Masters
Di Masters
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 18729

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Sat 12 Jul 2014 - 9:43

Ha, ha. Good on you Maria.

I'm not a complete idiot...some pieces are missing!

Sew Lorraine (Etsy)
My Tutorials
My Photography
Lorraine
Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 16280
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Scatty Sat 12 Jul 2014 - 9:55

All sounds lovely Maria and I have to say after the hard time you had with Miss B you do deserve to have a good one. Good on you for last night, as you say they do it with their poodles.

JEMMA Glowworm-1-1
Scatty
Scatty
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 6909

Back to top Go down

Post by thriftycrafter Sat 12 Jul 2014 - 13:10

That's good news, I'm sure the car thing will come, she's a dream, good to hear.

Creativity is messy and I am very creative.
thriftycrafter
thriftycrafter
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 12968

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Sat 12 Jul 2014 - 13:19

Aunt liked the animals, she is mor of a cat person but she broguht them both presents - a lovely littl coily springy tiger on the end of a string for the cat (who loves it) and a squeaky bone for Jemma (less enamoured, she likes her soft toy the best so far but its murder getting ones without a squeak in them). Anyway, before the aunt arrived I did 10 mins training/playing with Jemma in the garden, just calling her name and making a fuss of her when she came, which she always did. Very pleasing. Shes already showing collie behaviour and you can see when she chases the cat she always goes round behind him and tries to herd him towards the house, she did the same with my aunt - sort of dashes behind them and then lies down sort of defying them to go on in that direction. Fran said his collie used to round even the chickens up and sometimes they would find them all in the house with Noggin standing proudly in the doorway.

Anyway, shes exhausted by it all now and has gone in her crate to sleep before we go to the stables this afternoon. I dont think she likes the car much as I said- she didnt mind going to utes but when I took her to Frans (windy roads) she hated it and her ears went down when I made her get in to come home, anyway, Utes is only a short trip. Ill shut her in like last time with the other dog whilst we ride.

Maria
Maria
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down