The Canny Crafters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Die-cutting machines

+3
Maria
WeirdCat
lyndaejane
7 posters

Go down

Die-cutting machines Empty Die-cutting machines

Post by lyndaejane Thu 11 Apr 2019 - 19:32

Di is thinking of replacing her old Cuttlebug. Does anyone have any 'reviews' of any they own? Ones using physical dies, rather than electronic on-line ones, I think.

Had my Cuttlebug for years: if the new one is as good then it's still a great one to buy. Also have the Big Shot Plus, which takes A4 size so will cope with almost anything - good for passing open cards through 'sideways' as it were, which is impossible with smaller machines. That also means it's easy to turn large dies/die-cuts round 90 degrees if you need to get another side of the die closer to the edges where the greater pressure is. I haven't used it much, but it seems very smooth and easy to wind through.

Lynda

I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, just like they should be.
lyndaejane
lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 17184
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Die-cutting machines Empty Re: Die-cutting machines

Post by WeirdCat Thu 11 Apr 2019 - 20:04

I have the big pink one, can't remember its name and a normal bug. They are both ok although the big pink is not as evenly weighted as it should be, I don't think, so doesn't always completely cut. I'd like an electronic one but they are a lot of money and I am a bit reluctant given how little I used the Robo.

Ruth

My Blog: http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/
WeirdCat
WeirdCat

Number of posts : 12260

http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Thu 11 Apr 2019 - 20:09

i have a cuttlebug. i have used those little desktop ones, diamond press is one and there is another make as well, they are fine for small thin dies but the advantage of the cuttlebug is it takes everything.

Id love a cricut but like Ruth says, im not sure how much id use it and i bet I would spend loads of time setting it all up rather than just getting on with it.

shaken and stirred but still standing (most of the time)
Maria
Maria
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 10552
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.lesarbres.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Di Masters Fri 12 Apr 2019 - 8:07

Thanks ladies. Things like the Cricut/Robo never interested me, I'd never use them enough to make them worth having. Lovely if you do lots of more fiddly stuff.

Whatever I get has to live on a bookcase shelf, and moved to use in a space on a small computer desk. So it cannot be too big. A couple people I chat to have the Gemini and are pleased with it, that's why I was wondering about them. £125 at the Range. New Cuttlebug around £80

Smile, and make everybody wonder what you've been up to.
Di Masters
Di Masters
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 18733

Back to top Go down

Post by cathcb Fri 12 Apr 2019 - 10:45

My Mum has a Gemini the good thing for her is just pressing a button. I have a Spellbinders which is ok as it has larger plates but do prefer using my Big Shot.
cathcb
cathcb
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 1243
Registration date : 2017-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane Fri 12 Apr 2019 - 12:33

Have just caught up with the latest SplitCoastStampers newletter, only to find out that Provocraft have discontinued the Cuttlebug. Announcement was in January. There was no mention of a replacement, so presume they are concentrating on the Cricut. When my Bug goes, I will probably go for the Sizzix Foldaway, in that case: the Big Shot Plus seems very good, but the plates are quite bulky to handle and fairly heavy, so I wouldn't want to be using it for everything.

Lynda

I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, just like they should be.
lyndaejane
lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Scatty Sat 13 Apr 2019 - 8:11

I have a big shot, which I use almost always, and also teh predecessor to the Gemini electric machine, which When at the old house I didn't use that often as it couldn't sit out ready to use. I see Lynda has mentioned that there is now a foldaway big shot, so that might be the one to go for with the limited space Di.

Die-cutting machines Glowworm-1-1
Scatty
Scatty
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 6909

Back to top Go down

Post by Di Masters Sat 13 Apr 2019 - 18:57

I think I need to go and look at some different machines, get an idea of size etc. Thanks all.

Di Masters
Di Masters
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Scatty Sun 14 Apr 2019 - 8:29

Di I ment to say yesterday, the Gemini comes in three sizes now, really tiny, about Cuttlebug size and the big one.

Die-cutting machines Glowworm-1-1
Scatty
Scatty
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 6909

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane Sun 14 Apr 2019 - 8:52

I think most of the manufacturers are doing the really tiny ones now. I bought the Spellbinders one, which was the first out and only available from Create & Craft. It was at the time I was doing the wedding stationery for Steve's nephew and it was invaluable for cutting the hundreds of corners. One thing which is very good about them is that the pressure is excellent - usually the pressure is best at the outer edges of die-cutting machines but, as they don't really have much space between the edges, the pressure is pretty even throughout. There's a statistic about how many dies we cut that don't need anything bigger than one of the tiny machines and it's amazing how many dies actually fit them.

Lynda

lyndaejane
lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Di Masters Sun 14 Apr 2019 - 12:00

Looking at the big shot in pictures, it does seem rather large for my diddy space. I shall have to take the tape measure up and see.

That's true about how many large things we need them for Lynda. Mainly small dies, really only the occasional embossing folder for me.

Di Masters
Di Masters
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane Sun 14 Apr 2019 - 14:54

Problem with the Big Shot (standard model) is that I don't think the plates are any bigger than Cuttlebug size but, because it doesn't fold up, it takes up the full space whether it's in use or not. That's probably why they've introduced the Foldaway version - probably worth taking a look at that if you don't want an electric machine, Di.

Lynda

lyndaejane
lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by thriftycrafter Tue 16 Apr 2019 - 23:21

that's a pity about Cuttlebug, it's reliable and folds up.
I did buy the xcut as that also folds up and does A4 but it was self adjustable - the rollers, so getting an accurate cut was a bit hit and miss, I gave it to Paige when I got my silhouette. I keep promising myself that I'll give myself regular lessons on using it as I really haven't got the best out of it yet, made titles which has been handy and a few cards but i need to 'make for no reason but practice' and I usually have something that needs making today. Big shots are heavy and lage but very reliable for their own dies, cuttlebug better for a range of dies IMHO

Creativity is messy and I am very creative.
thriftycrafter
thriftycrafter
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 12968

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane Wed 17 Apr 2019 - 9:17

That's interesting about the Big Shot being better for Sizzix dies, Karelyn - hadn't heard that.

Lynda

lyndaejane
lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down