The Canny Crafters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

more patchwork blocks, and my new toy!!!

+5
Lorraine
thriftycrafter
lyndaejane
Maria
Scrap Monkey
9 posters

Go down

more patchwork blocks, and my new toy!!! Empty more patchwork blocks, and my new toy!!!

Post by Scrap Monkey Mon 1 Jul 2013 - 15:32

June's swap block was 'Friendship Star' I have made these before (for my own little quilt), but had to buy fabric as neither Lynda or I seem to be particularly keen on orange, the other lady's choice. The black and white on is the one Simone from France sent to me.
more patchwork blocks, and my new toy!!! June_b10
more patchwork blocks, and my new toy!!! Mayblo10

This is my birthday present from Phil, we collected her from Watford whilst we were staying in St Albans at MIL's for my birthday. She is a Jones Cylinder Shuttle, made in Manchester; not sure of the exact age, but they stopped manufacturing these in 1929. She has been well loved and looked after, but also well used, so the decals have worn away where the fabric has been passed over the base plate, but the ones on the front are immaculate. I have all the original feet, tools and instruction manual. and she sews like an absolute dream, far better than any of the other (ahem, several Embarassed Laughing ) machines in the house. I used her to make this month's block, as the accuracy attainable with a solid handcrank machine like this is astonishing. She came from a recycling centre, oh how I would love to know her story!
more patchwork blocks, and my new toy!!! Jones10

Tina
My Beads on Etsy

our website

No, I'm not putting my 'to do' list here, that would be far to organised, PLUS I would have to keep it up to date  Laughing
Scrap Monkey
Scrap Monkey
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 8999
Registration date : 2009-02-19

http://www.saltwaterstudiopembroke.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

more patchwork blocks, and my new toy!!! Empty Re: more patchwork blocks, and my new toy!!!

Post by Maria Mon 1 Jul 2013 - 16:27

LOVELY lovely Fabric blocks Tina, love both of them

shaken and stirred but still standing (most of the time)
Maria
Maria
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 10572
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.lesarbres.co.uk

Back to top Go down

more patchwork blocks, and my new toy!!! Empty Re: more patchwork blocks, and my new toy!!!

Post by lyndaejane Mon 1 Jul 2013 - 18:09

Sorry about the lack of orange fabric, Tina: don't usually work in orange but you've done beautifully with that block. Don't blame you getting a manual machine: I do sometimes wonder when I'm using mine (mostly for household tasks) whether I wouldn't be better with a manual.

Lynda

I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, just like they should be.
lyndaejane
lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 17288
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post by thriftycrafter Mon 1 Jul 2013 - 18:10

She's lovely Tina, I have a beaut in the loft with mother of pearl inlay and marquetry on the box. If only it did zigzag I would still use it. My dad got it from a jumble sale when I was about 12 and painted my name over where it said Singer.I ought to do a LO about it. I love the way the handle folds in and just the smooth engineering. They don't craft machines like that any more. Don't they sound lovely too.
Very nice squares too.

Creativity is messy and I am very creative.
thriftycrafter
thriftycrafter
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 12996

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Mon 1 Jul 2013 - 21:51

The squares are fabulous Tina, but that machine steals the show. What a BEAUTY!

I'm not a complete idiot...some pieces are missing!

Sew Lorraine (Etsy)
My Tutorials
My Photography
Lorraine
Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 16280
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by supergran Tue 2 Jul 2013 - 9:18

Great star patch work, I have a hand sewing machine as well, I find it much better than an electric one as you have more control of it, got it some years ago in Saudi.

more patchwork blocks, and my new toy!!! Bmore patchwork blocks, and my new toy!!! Imore patchwork blocks, and my new toy!!! Lmore patchwork blocks, and my new toy!!! Lmore patchwork blocks, and my new toy!!! Imore patchwork blocks, and my new toy!!! E

Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 6732
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrap Monkey Tue 2 Jul 2013 - 9:28

Yes, the accuracy is brilliant.

No need to apologise Lynda, I'm not mad on orange either, and it was a good excuse to have a little shopping trip Wink 

Tina
My Beads on Etsy

our website

No, I'm not putting my 'to do' list here, that would be far to organised, PLUS I would have to keep it up to date  Laughing
Scrap Monkey
Scrap Monkey
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 8999
Registration date : 2009-02-19

http://www.saltwaterstudiopembroke.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Di Masters Tue 2 Jul 2013 - 9:51

Takes me back to school, we had hand machines and they were much better for accurate stitching. I always used to love playing about on my Nans treadle machine too.
Lovely squares.

Smile, and make everybody wonder what you've been up to.
Di Masters
Di Masters
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 18812

Back to top Go down

Post by cb Tue 2 Jul 2013 - 12:47

Lovely patchwork Tina. I'm not into sewing but a lovely machine. My grandma had an old treadle machine that I used to have a go on many years ago.
cb
cb
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 4405

Back to top Go down

Post by WeirdCat Mon 15 Jul 2013 - 11:25

Fab sewing machine, I used to have my Nan's old one like that. I like the orange quilt block

Ruth

My Blog: http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/
WeirdCat
WeirdCat

Number of posts : 12272

http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down