The Canny Crafters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ruth, Lorraine Kate - Digi Images and Die Cutting

4 posters

Go down

Ruth, Lorraine Kate - Digi Images and Die Cutting Empty Ruth, Lorraine Kate - Digi Images and Die Cutting

Post by karinlouise Fri 9 Jul 2010 - 10:43

I put you three in the heading as I know you all download digi images, I wanted to ask how you cut them.

What I mean is, if you download an image and want it on a nestie shape, say the blossom, how do you do it. I've found when cutting that there tends to be a slight difference to the edge depending which way it is cut, almost a curve, but very very slight. If the roller presses the card down onto the die it has one edge (nicely finished), but if the roller is pressing the die down onto the card it has a different finish, (not as nice). Does that make sense. Its something I've noticed from day one of having the big shot.

When using the big shot for cutting anything I have always put the die on the plate first, then the card then the top plate. This means I can't see the image cos its face down and very hit and miss when cutting.

So if I put the card down first, then place the die on top so I can see the image, I get the different (not as nice) edge.

I just wondered if you had any hints.

The only way round this is to cut out the image once coloured and then put on the shape, but if you want to colour the background as well you can't do that.

Hope this all makes sense, I know what I mean in my head Ruth, Lorraine Kate - Digi Images and Die Cutting Icon_biggrin

My Blog Crafty K's Place

K is a Loser !! My Weight Loss Diary

Facebook Bead Page: Karin's Bead Kandy
karinlouise
karinlouise
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 4557
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Ruth, Lorraine Kate - Digi Images and Die Cutting Empty Re: Ruth, Lorraine Kate - Digi Images and Die Cutting

Post by Guest Fri 9 Jul 2010 - 10:46

Can't you put a couple of bits of masking tape to hold the die
in place. That's what I do with the Cuttlebug if I think it's going
to be hit and miss.

Back to top Go down

Ruth, Lorraine Kate - Digi Images and Die Cutting Empty Re: Ruth, Lorraine Kate - Digi Images and Die Cutting

Post by karinlouise Fri 9 Jul 2010 - 11:45

Not thought of that, it'll help normal cutting, Have used the magnetic sheets too. But if I am putting the image face down on top of the die, I can't see where the image starts and finishes so its placed right on the die.

My Blog Crafty K's Place

karinlouise
karinlouise
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by kt_dragonfly Fri 9 Jul 2010 - 12:16

dont ask me, I dont have any fancy die cutting machines lol

Dragon Ruth, Lorraine Kate - Digi Images and Die Cutting KT-Dragonfly Dragon

My Blog ~ http://ktdragonfly.blogspot.com
kt_dragonfly
kt_dragonfly
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 5642

http://ktdragonfly.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by karinlouise Fri 9 Jul 2010 - 12:38

LOL, sorreeeee, Ruth, Lorraine Kate - Digi Images and Die Cutting 113764

I just tried to do one earlier, a lovely fair image I had printed out, and it didn't cut properly so put it back through and it moved. Grrr.

think I might use the masking tape idea, but put nestie by eye around image, tape it then put it through machine. Though I'll still get the not nice edge.

My Blog Crafty K's Place

karinlouise
karinlouise
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Fri 9 Jul 2010 - 17:18

Well, I use a bug for starters, but it sounds like you need a shim, Karin. It will make a big difference to the cutting.

I also used to cut face down, but now I've turned my sandwich upside down and my image is face up so I can place my die down exactly where I want it, then the C plate on the top (b plate is after the A plate). This works a treat.

I know that's irrelevant to you, but still you could try changing your sandwich, but definitely try a shim.

Not sure what you mean by the curved edge being different, but as long as the blade cuts down into the image, you should have the nice bevel.

I'm not a complete idiot...some pieces are missing!

Sew Lorraine (Etsy)
My Tutorials
My Photography
Lorraine
Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 16280
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by karinlouise Mon 12 Jul 2010 - 9:40

Thanks Lorraine, I have tried the sandwich upside down bit and figured thats probably the only way I am going to get it to work. With the big shot when it cuts, because the paper is on top of the die as it is pressed down to cut it leaves a different edge to when the die is on top of the paper. Strange I know, but something I have noticed over the years.

My Blog Crafty K's Place

karinlouise
karinlouise
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by WeirdCat Wed 14 Jul 2010 - 19:42

I use the bug and the nesties cut without a problem although sometimes they leave a mark where it would have embossed had I done that bit

Ruth

My Blog: http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/
WeirdCat
WeirdCat

Number of posts : 12272

http://weirdcatcardsnstuff.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by karinlouise Fri 23 Jul 2010 - 11:06

I've been managing to cut 'upside down'. Its not bad though I can't always like the cutting edge to the edge of the picture, mainly because I can't see it ;D . But I'm getting there.

Just need some more nesties now Mr Green I really, really want labels 1, but can't afford. Might have to wait for my birthday me thinks.

My Blog Crafty K's Place

karinlouise
karinlouise
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down