The Canny Crafters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flowers from punches

+2
Scrap Monkey
lyndaejane
6 posters

Go down

Flowers from punches Empty Flowers from punches

Post by lyndaejane Sun 6 Mar 2011 - 16:03

This is not exactly recycling, more re-purposing, as the Americans would call it.

I've been dabbling with making flowers, after all the gorgeous things I've seen recently: I know most of you will know all these tips, but just in case..... Flowers are so expensive to buy and most of us have punches or dies that you can use to turn into flowers with a bit of work. Here are a few I've come up with:

Flowers from punches 4flowers

The top right one is a large flower punch, about 1.75" across: the top left is the same punched item but with the ends of the petals cut across using fancy-edge scissors - in this case, Victorian. Bottom right is a flower made with seven punched-out folk hearts (ordinary hearts will work just as well, but I only have the folk heart punch). Bottom left is a flower made with eight pieces cut from a scallop punched piece of paper: mine is a circle, but you can do the same with a square or rectangular one - just cut it into triangles.

And this is what you could make:

Flowers from punches Completeflower

At the back is the scalloped flower, then the standard 5-petal punched one, then a 5-petal cut with the Victorian scissors and finished with just a small 5-petal punched flower. All punched from an old book and then dobbed and dabbed with different ink pads. Curl the edges of the petals round an old knitting needle to give a more 3-D effect.

If you don't have the right punches, draw round something circular and then cut it out with any old fancy-edge scissors. Either use it as it is, or cut from the edge into the middle to make separate petals, then pile the layers like I did. Put a brad through the middle, or a button or similar if you don't have a suitable small punch for the tiny middle flower.

If any of you have any other ideas on this, please add them to the thread.

Lynda

I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, just like they should be.
lyndaejane
lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 17286
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Flowers from punches Empty Re: Flowers from punches

Post by Scrap Monkey Sun 6 Mar 2011 - 16:28

These are brilliant Lynda, i'm off up to my loft now!

Tina
My Beads on Etsy

our website

No, I'm not putting my 'to do' list here, that would be far to organised, PLUS I would have to keep it up to date  Laughing
Scrap Monkey
Scrap Monkey
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 8999
Registration date : 2009-02-19

http://www.saltwaterstudiopembroke.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 6 Mar 2011 - 17:03

I need to make some flowers with the text on them.
Really fallen for those.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scatty Sun 6 Mar 2011 - 18:02

Great tips Lynda, Thanks.

Flowers from punches Glowworm-1-1
Scatty
Scatty
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 6909

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Sun 6 Mar 2011 - 18:29

This is excellent, Lynda.

(moved it to Hints & Tips)

I'm not a complete idiot...some pieces are missing!

Sew Lorraine (Etsy)
My Tutorials
My Photography
Lorraine
Lorraine
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 16280
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 6 Mar 2011 - 21:02

Brilliant thank you so much for this, I so hope the girls have a little sleep tomorrow to have a go at these, I have kept the free Advertiser newspaper for these sort of thing xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsfeefee Sun 6 Mar 2011 - 21:39

Thank you Lynda great ideas and another good tip from Emma to use a newspaper. gonna try these tomorrow.
Mrsfeefee
Mrsfeefee
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 2178

Back to top Go down

Post by karinlouise Sun 6 Mar 2011 - 22:25

gorgeous lynda, wow. I did once see a flower punched out and then the petals put back through a corner punch to changed the petals...didn't work forme though LOL.

Will try this though. thanks x

My Blog Crafty K's Place

K is a Loser !! My Weight Loss Diary

Facebook Bead Page: Karin's Bead Kandy
karinlouise
karinlouise
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 4557

Back to top Go down

Post by lyndaejane Mon 7 Mar 2011 - 12:01

Had another idea: star punches. Tiny one to make flower centres. Big one to make flowers - you could ater the ends of the petals there too. Or use just one "leg" of the star to alter the end of another type of petal by making a notch in the middle. And on the triangle theme: even if you don't have any punches, you could cut out triangles and then cut across the top of each petal with fancy-edge scissors - or, if you don't have the scissors, just cut across with a wavy line or a curved line with a notch in the middle.

Glad you're enjoying these: can't take all the credit, though. Saw a demo on YouTube, an Aussie girl, using fancy label die-cuts and cutting them into triangles with the fancy bit at the end of what became the petals. Made me think I could use the scalloped circle punch instead and it went from there.

Like Emma's idea to use a newspaper if you haven't got an old book - but check with your local charity shop: they're bound to get books in that are falling apart and they can't sell so they'll probably give you one.

Using a corner punch to alter the petals is a good idea, Karin: it won't work for me either, as I only have one corner punch and it's a large one, so won't really make much difference to the end of a smallish piece of paper.

Keep the ideas coming, girls: we all love making something for nothing!

Lynda

I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, just like they should be.
lyndaejane
lyndaejane
Awesome Artist
Awesome Artist

Number of posts : 17286

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down